Puritan Belief

The Puritans are the men of God who started in the 16th century building on the purity of the gospel message that Salvation is by Grace alone.

Where Have I Been Unfaithful?

The following is a short extract from pilgrims progress. Apollyon is the God of this world pointing out the faults of Christian.

Christian: "Wherein, O Apollyon, have I been unfaithful to him?"

Apollyon: "Thou didst faint at first setting out ... thou did sinfully sleep... thou art inwardly desirous of vain glory in all that thou sayest and doest"

Now listen to this answer it is great!
Christian: "All this is true and much more which thou hast left out; but the Prince whom I serve and honour is merciful, and ready to forgive; but besides, these infirmities possessed me in thy country (Apollyons world) for there I sucked them in, and I have groaned under them, been sorry for them, and have obtained pardon of my Prince."

Add Your Comment(8)

Where Have I Been Unfaithful?
Posted by Correy Monday, February 13, 2006

8 Comments:

Blogger reformation man said...

And all God's people said...Amen

February 14, 2006 1:41 AM   Edit
Blogger Nephos said...

Thank God that His mercy endures forever!

February 14, 2006 6:06 AM   Edit
Blogger Shawn said...

I love Pilgrim's Progress. I am kinda weird. I read it at least twice a year. I love it so much

February 14, 2006 12:02 PM   Edit
Blogger Doug E. said...

One of my favorites!

Doug

February 14, 2006 3:13 PM   Edit
Blogger Gordon said...

Greater is He that is in us than he that is in the world.

February 15, 2006 3:20 AM   Edit
Blogger carson said...

You have a great blog puritan.

Have you studied much about the Salem Which Trials, and if so, what are your thoughts?

February 15, 2006 2:41 PM   Edit
Blogger Correy said...

Carson:
Briefly, I have read a bit but not enough to be an expert. From what I gather the Salem Witch Trials are where a lot of people get their definition of a puritan.

They would say that their over zealous beliefs (eg Calvinism and quest for holiness) lead them to kill and persecute anyone that was not like them (eg a Witch). Hence the trials of the late 1600's.

Some "evangelifish" and "emergents" use this to say that we should be balanced in our belief systems and not get too fundamentalist.

I am of the opinion that fundamentalism is the only way to be. By this I mean a fundamentalist to the gospel and the truth therein.

What most people don't realise is that when we are like this it is the Christian's that are persecuted. To relate it back to pilgrims progress where "Faithful" became a martyr for the gospel I would like to pick out this discourse:
-------------------
Envy:
..That Christianity and the customs of our town of Vanity were diametrically opposite, and could not be reconciled ... meaning ... not only do they condemn all our laudable doings, but us in the doing of them.
......

To which Faithful answered
Faithful:
... That what rule, or laws, or custom, or people, were flat against the Word of God, are diametrically opposite to Christianity.

-----------------------
I used this discourse to prove that everything the christian says and does is in opposition to the world or the world would rightly call us FUNDAMENTALIST.

Now in all the NEW TESTAMENT I can not see anyone being put to death for their beliefs save the Christians. Therefore I do not think that this should be the case even if Christians did occupy Parliament such as the "puritans" did in Salem. I would however give a different statement if there were convicted murderers with 2 or more witnesses.

February 15, 2006 3:27 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there! Would you mind if I share your blog with my twitter
group? There's a lot of people that I think would really enjoy your content. Please let me know. Thanks

Here is my website; look at this

February 20, 2013 11:12 AM   Edit

Post a Comment

<< Puritan Belief